These delightful fluffy Lemon Cookies provide a wonderful surprise with a bite of sunshine. They are perfect for an Easter Celebration Dessert.
The cookies definitely can and DO stand alone. No sprucing up is needed. They do make a great base though if you would like to make them seasonal for a Holiday celebration.
Lemon Cookies – A Bite of Sunshine
- 2 sticks unsalted softened butter
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- yellow food coloring if desired
- Place softened butter into stand mixture and cream the butter until it is fluffy and pale…about 5-8 minutes
- slowly add sugar and continue to mix until all the butter is incorporated and not grainy…about another 4-5 minutesScrap down the edges of the mixing bowl as needed
- Add eggs one at a time mixing well between adding the eggs
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla and 4 drops of yellow food coloring – mix
- In a large measuring cup ( 4 cup) or medium size bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Mix with a spoon.* I use a measuring cup for the ease of adding the ingredients to the operating mixer
- Slowly, add dry indredients to the butter mixture. Do not overmix the cookie dough
- Place the mixing bowl into the refrigator and chill the dough until it is cold. Thirty minutes to an hour
- Preheat the oven to 375Line cookie sheets with parchment paper
- Place powder sugar into a bowl
- Scoop up about one tablespoon of dough and roll the dough in the palm of your hands to form a ball.Place the dough ball into the powder sugar and roll it around until the dough is completely covered in powdered sugar.
- Place the cookies onto the parachment paper lined cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are turning golden brown.
- Add decorations if desired after the cookies have cooled.
These cookies make a cute bird’s nest. Color some coconut green and add a few jelly beans.
I like adding some pastel sprinkles.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Please let me know your thoughts in the comments.
Leave a Reply