Guaranteed to be kissed and not pinched if you make these St Patricks day cookies. Don’t be caught without the green….that is without these green cookies !!
What is St Patricks Day?
St Patricks day is a modest religious holiday, and honoring Ireland’s patron saint. Because it falls right in the middle of Lent, people began using it as a reason to celebrate and take a break from the restraints and abstinence of the period leading up to Easter.
Who was St Patrick?
St Patrick is know as the patron saint of Ireland. At the age of 16, Patrick was kidnaped and taken to Ireland to serve as a slave. To survive the circumstances he turned to his faith. He was enslaved for about six years before he escaped and returned to Britain.
St Patrick returned to Ireland years later to establish Christianity and to convert the Irish to Christianity. With the use of a shamrock , St Patrick taught the Irish the Holy Trinity.
St Patrick established many monasteries, churches, and schools during his time in Ireland.
St Patrick passed away on March 17th and Ireland honored him by celebrating annually his is life and legacy with religious services and feast.
” Kiss Me Because I’m Irish” Cookies with Hershey Chocolate Kisses and Bailey’s Irish Cream
- 1 stick soften unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup Bailey's or Kahula
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 24 pieces Hersey Kisses chocolate candy kisses
- green food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- In your stand mixer bowl, beat the butter with the white and brown sugar for 5 minutes or until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Add the egg,vanilla and Baliey's until well mixed
- Add green food coloring to your liking
- In a large ( 4 cup) measuring cup, combine flour , baking soda and salt. I like to use a measuring cup for ease of adding the dry ingredients into the stand measuring while it is mixing. Add the the dry ingredients to the butter mixture mixing on a low speed until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls. Place the cookie dough on parch lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for about 8 minutes or until the edges become slightly browned.
- Immediately tranfer the cookies to a wire rack and press the Hershey's Kiss into the center of each cookie while the cookies are hot.I have a piece of parachment paper on top of the wire rack. This is not required.
- Allow the cookies to completely cool before serving.
An Irish Blessing
May your days be many and your troubles few.
May all God’s blessings descend upon you.
May peace be within you and may your heart be strong. May you find what you’re seeking wherever you roam.
If you are lucky enough to be Irish, then you’re lucky enough