What is traditional royal icing?
Traditional royal icing is a mixer of egg whites, water, powdered sugar and flavoring that is used to decorate cookies. It is an icing that can be piped onto cookies making an endless variety of beautiful designs.
What is the difference with Meringue Powder Royal Icing?
Meringue powder is a powder substitute for egg whites. Instead of beating egg whites until they form peaks like what is done with a traditional royal icing, meringue powered is added to the sugar and water and beaten. The consistency of the icing can be easily controlled from thin to thick.
What Consistency is needed for Cookies?
Icing for cookies is usually what is know as a 10 or 15 second icing. The time that it takes ( 10-15 seconds) for the icing to smooth out after you pulled up or make a line in the icing with a spoon defines its consistency.
I use 15 second icing for outlining and flooding cookies.
How to Store Royal Icing:
Royal Icing does not need to be refrigerated. It can be stored at room temperature. Place the leftover icing in an airtight container and place plastic wrap onto the icing surface so a skin does not form. Secure the lid and date the the container. The icing will keep for several days. The icing will keep for several days. Stir icing well for using with the next project.
- 4 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 2 Tablespoons Meringue powder
- 6-7 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract optional
- Place powder sugar into mixing bowl and add meringe powder. Whisk together
- Add vanilla,lemon and almond extract followed by water… start with 6 tablespoons and add additional if needed
- The icing will thicken as beated with electric mixer
- If the icing is to thin, add some powdered sugar until the consistacy is achieved
- If the icing is to thick, add a tinyl amount of water ( add drops) until the consistancy is achieved
- Divide the icing out into different bowls and add food gel coloring as desired
- Store remaining icing in an airtight container. First place plastic wrap directly onto the top surface of the icing to prevent a skin from forming before applying the container lid.