This cake is one of my favorites. The base recipe of the cake allows for adding creative flavorings if desired.
Adding a hint of Rum to the vanilla cake made this cake a great match for a tropical buttercream flavoring that you might be adding to your cake.
Devine Vanilla Rum Cake
- 3 cups cake flour ( You can make your own cake flour if you do not have it on hand. To make cake flour you will just need to remove 2 Tbsps of flour for each cup of flour your recipe calls for and add 2 Tbsp cornstarch. For this recipe you will need to remove 6 Tbsp of flour and add 6 Tbsp cornstarch)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Cold butter same as 2 sticks
- 1 cup Sour cream
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk to make buttermilk- pour 1/2 cup of milk in your measuring cup and add 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice . Lemon juice can be substituted with white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp Rum extract
- 3 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Prepare your baking pans. I use Pam spray. The pans can be greased and floured
- Whisk the four, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the sour cream, buttermilk, oil, vanilla, rum extract, and eggs.
- Reverse cream the butter. Cut the butter into small pieced and and add the butter a little bit at a time to the flour mixture
- The goal is to get the all the small butter pieces coated well with the flour. The mixture shoul dlook like corn meal when the butter is incoroperated.
- Slowly pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour butter mixture.
- Do not overmix
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pans
- Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes. Test for doneness and bake additional minutes as needed
- Cool for 10 -15 minutes before turning out ( removing) the cakes from the baking pans
- Completley cool the layer layers before frosting