Butter Cream Icing is usually a fan favorite for cakes, cupcakes and even cookies. This recipe is very versatile in that with adding extracts the flavor profile can quickly be changed . The butter cream is fabulous as is, but adding extracts takes it to another dimension.
Butter Cream Icing
- 1 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons Heavy cream
- Add soften butter, vanilla, and salt to mixing bowl. Mix until the butter is smooth and the ingredients incoporated.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and 1 Tablespoon of heavy cream. Start off on low speed ( to prevent powder sugar cloud)
- When the powdered sugar is incorporating into the butter, add two more cups of powdered sugar. Follow with another 1 Tablspoon of heavy cream and then the remaining 2 cups of powdered sugar.
- Mix the icing until you get the consistency needed. You might need to add more powedered sugar if it seems thin or add a splash of cream ( very small- 1/2 tsp) at a time if is is to thick.
Now that you have the base recipe, you can add many different flavors.
Other Flavors for your Butter Cream Icing:
This reminds me of a wedding cake.
To obtain this flavor add 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract. Almond extract is a strong flavor, so I would recommend starting off with a small amount and increasing to taste as desired
This definitely is the flavor of Christmas. It goes well with all your chocolate desserts.
To make this flavor of butter cream icing add 1 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract and reduce the vanilla back to 1 teaspoon.