It is cold outside. Well, 36 degrees in Texas is freaking cold :), but the kitchen is warm with an Apple Blueberry Walnut bread baking in the oven.
I so wish we had scratch and smell screens. The aroma filling the house is intoxicating with a blend of apples and the spices used in the bread.
What Type of Apples are Best to Use?
In this recipe I used applesauce and dehydrated apple rings chopped. I like to use dehydrated apples over chopped fresh apples for the texture it provides and state that the apples maintain. Fresh chopped apples frequently become mushy when added to a batter and baked.
What Kind of Blueberries are Needed For This Recipe?
Again, I elected to use dehydrated blueberries. They rehydrate quickly from the fluids in the batter, yet also do not become mushy. Additionally, dehydrated blueberries do not stain the batter like fresh or frozen blueberries.
Apple Blueberry Walnut Bread
- 1 cup applesauce- you can use sweetened or unsweetened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup diced dried apple rings
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl add the first seven ingredients listed ( applesauce,both sugars, eggs, oil, sour cream, and vanilla) and whisk by hand until well blended.
- Stir in the dry ingredients ( flour, baking powder and soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger). Mix well.
- Fold in diced dried apples, dried blueberries, and walnuts
- Fill loaf pan with batter. Sprinkle some sugar ontop of the batterBake for 45- 50 minutes or until tooth pick test returns back clean. Remove Apple Blueberry Walnuts Bread from pan after 15-20 minutes and continue cooling on a wire rack
- Dust with powdered sugar if desiredSlice and serve once completely cooled
Can this Apple Blueberry Walnut Bread be Frozen?
Yes, it freezes beautifully. I recommend slicing the whole loaf into slices and then individually wrapping each slice. Place the wrapped slices into a Ziplock bag with the date and content identified on the bag.
I hope you enjoy this nice warm bread on a cold day like I am. It is great warmed up with a dab of butter and cup of coffee.